Thursday 2 January 2014

Best old music of 2013

Most of the "new" music I've heard this year has not been new at all. Harnessing the power of Discogs, I've focused my consumption on (vinyl) records made chiefly between 1960 and 1980. A few highlights:

1. Baby - Ellie Greenwich

2. All Things Must Pass - George Harrison

3. I'm Doin' Fine Now - New York City

The Ellie Greenwich track has that otherworldly quality that the best transcendent pop records have. Greenwhich co-wrote several such gems for the likes of the Ronettes.

I first heard All Things Must Pass in about 1980, but it was on pre-recorded cassette and played on a machine horribly ropey even by the standards of the time. So to hear an original pressing on the lovely stereo I have finally been able to assemble, in my 40s, was a revelation. Many of the constituent parts in Phil Spector's wall of sound are distinguishable from the other. They sound like a real band, and they are fantastic. All Things Must Pass is my favourite solo Beatles offering, even though disc three is obviously surplus to requirements.

The New York City track was the soundtrack to our family holiday in Pett, East Sussex, and I haven't yet tired of listening it.

No comments: