Thursday 2 January 2014

Best music books of 2013

1. Yeah Yeah Yeah - Bob Stanley

2. Turn On - Mark Lewisohn

3. Bedsit Disco Queen - Tracey Thorn

I feel a bit of a cheat naming the last two, because I'm still reading them. But I am thoroughly enjoying both. Tracey Thorn captures what it was like in the 80s beautifully, and brings back a lot of memories and feelings I'd forgotten about without making me feel nostalgic.

The Lewisohn book is a monumental achievement and its daunting length is one of its joys - to immerse myself in the world that created the Beatles has been one of my life's great pleasures.

The Bob Stanley book is so thrilling I wanted to reread it as soon as I'd finished it - this time at home, with an internet connection nearby so I can check out all his recommendations.

No comments: