Thursday 2 January 2014

Best new music of 2013

1. The Next Day - David Bowie

2. Get Lucky - Daft Punk

3. Cristina - Teleman

Disclaimer: I am no authority on the best new music of 2013, since I listened to so little of it!

But the manner of Bowie's astonishing comeback, unheralded and in great secrecy, was a joy. I shelled out quite a bit of cash for the various versions of The Next Day - the vinyl album, the Japanese CD with "God Bless The Girl" on it, then the Extra deluxe version with a whole CD of new tracks - but it's endlessly fascinating and involving, including all the extra tracks. His voice hasn't quite got the range he used to have, but it hasn't stopped him turning out some incredible performances. As ever with Bowie, it all improves with repeated listens. In fact, I'd like to hear it again right now. It's a thrill.

Really, it's been the year of Bowie for me. I've been scouring Discogs for his earlier stuff and filling gaps in my collection, devoured several books on him and twice attended the wonderful V&A David Bowie Is exhibition. Will he tour in 2014? After The Next Day, I'd say anything was possible. But I suspect he won't.

Like most people, I fell for Daft Punk's Get Lucky from the first few bars, released as a the teaser clip to whet people's appetites. I also loved the short video ahead of the album's release that fetish-ised the vinyl, and the reinstatement of Nile Rodgers to "legend" status. I suspect in years to come it will be Get Lucky rather than the album Random Access Memories that I'll return to, but I did also notice and enjoy the album's cross-generational appeal.

Don't know much about Teleman, but heard Cristina via a Pete Paphides tweet and was enchanted by it. A lovely melody and an interesting arrangement that nods to Brian Wilson.

No comments: